Wednesday, April 15, 2015

East Coast Comiccon 2015

The trip to Secaucus New Jersey was great! If you love comics, and have become disinterested in conventions because of the focus on celebrities from television and film, this con is for you. It's wall-to-wall comics vendors and creators and has a vibrant artist's alley.
I got to meet one of my childhood heroes, Art Adams, which was very exciting, got a couple books signed and bought a print. And returned to his table numerous other times. I'm sure he thinks I'm stalking him now. My Longshot #1 is now signed by the whole creative team as they were all there!

Jim Steranko is everything his reputation lives up to be, but what you don't hear about is how friendly and warm he is. Great conversation with the comics legend. And he has a heck of a handshake.
I also was lucky to have a long conversation with Steve Rude at dinner, who was nice enough to talk to me while Steranko waited.
Anyway, lots happened, met lots of great people like Brian from Robot Paper (buy his book Henchmen!) whom we shared a table with and who is a far better mover and shaker than I. Henchmen #1 is SOLD OUT, folks! Chatted a few times with Paul Kupperberg, who is very funny. And listening to Alex Simmons and Don McGregor recount their youthful misadventures together at dinner was a definite highlight.
Sadly, one of the creators I met, Herb Trimpe, passed away the Monday following the con. I spent some time at his table watching him draw a commission as I waited to have a book signed. While I was there, a superfan arrived and talked Herb'n'Hulk for a while, which was very amusing. Herb didn't appear to be anything but in perfect health so his passing took me aback. Herb is known to us comic geeks for his Marvel comics work from the 60's to the 90's, but he had a wonderful life after comics as well teaching art and for his work as a chaplain in NY after 9/11.

I'll post pictures when I get 'em. My phone was full so I couldn't take any.

No comments:

Post a Comment